Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why we do what we do

So it seems like there are so many hyphenated churches out there today. You know, retirement-churches, young adult-churches, contemporary worship-churches, boomer-churches, seeker sensitive-churches, mega-churches, etc, etc, etc..... So what are we, and why?

I have struggled with this for a while, after all, isn't God's church for everyone? Well, of course it is. But, that's like saying food is for everyone. Yes, but not all foods are for all people. Take me, I could live on sushi and Thai. Could most folks? Of course not. But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with other people's tastes, it just means people are different. Do you really need me to tell you that people are different? Of course you don't. So what kind of folks are Family of God trying to cook for? Young families.

When I agreed to come and do a mission in Florida it was because the Florida Bahamas Synod of the ELCA wanted to start a church that wasn't retirement-church flavored. I loved the idea, and I still do. I think we are in a positions to do some tremendously cool ministry.

I still think our ministry is good for anyone who wants to come but the bottom line is our programming, set up, worship, and service is geared to the needs of young adults.

The wonderful thing about God is that he knows what we need. Sometimes you just need a that right hyphen.

No comments: